The advent of cloud computing has been a benefit to all businesses, allowing widespread access to systems using fewer physical machines and equipment. Unfortunately, many businesses fail to prioritize scalability at the outset, opting for cheaper systems with shorter development cycles. While this may allow for a smaller upfront cost, business owners may simply be kicking the can down the road, paying much more in the future to bring virtual systems up to speed.
The Benefits of Scalable Software, Networks, and Systems
The right design for a data system is a balancing act that takes into account the business’s needs, time, and cost constraints. A scalable product allows developers to create the best possible system, increasing the lifetime value of software while making IT services easier to use and less resource-intensive.
Benefits of scalable systems include:
- Room for changing priorities. An off-the-shelf hosting bundle may offer a lower upfront cost, but it may be difficult to adapt—or may be abandoned completely—as your company shifts to meet increased demands. Building onto solid, scalable software as-needed is considerably less expensive than spending time and effort adapting less flexible programs, especially if the initial system must be completely scrapped in favor of building an entirely new system.
- Lower overall cost. Business owners are often wary of the financial investment needed to develop an adequate data system. Our virtual platforms allow for vertical scaling, providing systems with more or less power as your needs change, and allowing for more efficiency with a less complex system.
- Return on the initial technology investment. We can advise you on hardware and software options that will work for you now and offer you the flexibility to respond to changes quickly in the future. This way, companies can enable unused features using the same software, eliminating the need for adding additional standalone programs or expensive plugins to the existing dashboard.
- Instant access. The time it takes to bring new features online is much quicker than the timeframe of implementing entirely new software. Our Software as a Service (SaaS) relieves a lot of scalability issues, increasing availability as soon as the subscription level is upgraded. Applications and new nodes can be configured to perform tasks before they are added to the existing network, reducing the need for downtime while increasing power and speed.
- Load balancing. Adding software to a system increases traffic near core resources, slowing down responses and placing stress on the servers. Load balancing software spreads the workload across servers in the most efficient way possible, ensuring that no one server gets overwhelmed. This avoids performance issues by reducing the number of times applications must navigate the system.
- Simple storage upgrades. Increasing the amount of data stored and processed by a system can cause unexpected interruptions that cause customers to flee due to slowness. If you have reached the limit of maximum stored data, migrating to a new database will be expensive and time-consuming, making scalability vital to overall user experience.
The data specialists at ATI Solutions would be happy to consult with business owners about the services offered in our data centers. Contact us today to get more information about the storage and service options in our D.C. data centers, or set up an appointment to tour our Chantilly facility.